View Single Post
Old 08-18-2018, 05:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Day 2: House Tours

Day 2: House Tours

After a much needed sleep I spent the day relaxing on campus. When my call time finally came around 2:30, I headed over to the row to get my schedule for the day from my Rho Gamma. I was super nervous because I honestly had no idea what houses I would get back. I got my schedule and it said.

-Turquoise
-Pink
-Purple
-Cyan
-Brown
-Green
-Red
-Blue

I was so so happy to have my top two choices, Pink and Turquoise back!! However, I scanned for Grey and Lavender and was disappointed when I couldn’t find them. I thought that I had really good conversations with both, but looking now I realize that I wouldn’t have meshed perfectly with them anyway. Orange had been such a confusing and random party that I didn’t even realize they were gone until I double checked again. Oh well! I was happy that I had a full schedule for the next day as a lot of girls in my group didn’t and were pretty upset. Even with the upperclassmen quota, my Rho Gamma group (all of us were juniors/junior transfers) had taken large cuts. After comforting my friends I headed off to my first house.

BLUE: I was picked up by a girl at the door who had the same major as me! We talked about all of the requirements, how hard it was going to be, our schedules etc. She was really nice and I enjoyed talking to her! The another girl picked me up and took me on a tour of the house. We had some small talk but I remember the housing being mostly a 20+ sleeping porch which (at the time I wanted to live in the house my senior year) did not seem appealing to me.

RED: I then ran to the next house in my wedges! I was on almost the complete other side of the row and with all the PNM traffic, I just barely got there on time. I was excited to see this house again even though I had ranked it low the day prior. I was picked up at the door by an active who grabbed the other PNM behind me. Walking in I noticed that I matched the actives completely (same color dress and shoes) and it cracked me up but at the same time I remember feeling really uncomfortable about it. Kinda like walking into a party and realizing you have the same dress another person times 140 haha. The active tried her best to talk to both of us at the same time but really failed with it. I felt like I was the active for a good portion of the conversation. I knew that I did not want to come back here tomorrow.

CYAN: While I didn’t have the best conversation at this house the day before I knew that this house (while being the “party” house) was well liked on campus. I tried to tell myself that not every girl fit this stereotype and headed in hopeful. And I was so glad I did!! The girl I was paired with was absolutely amazing. We bonded on so many levels within just a short conversation. She was a junior transfer as well and we talked about traveling, being older but still feeling like a freshman, and so many other amazing topics. I absolutely loved this girl and wanted to talk to her the entire party. I was a little disappointed when another active came to give me the house tour and we didn’t really click. She seemed really over recruitment and only wanted to talk about date parties and the bars. Which was totally okay! I was 21 at the time and I mean who doesn’t like a good date party? But it worried me that partying really was the only thing on this house’s mind.

PURPLE: I wasn’t super excited about this house going in just because of the previous day’s conversation but I was so so excited when I was paired with a girl that I clicked with immediately. We had been on the same type of dance team in HS, did pageants, she was a junior. She was so fun and bubbly and I really liked the house tour she gave as well. This party went really well and I left feeling super energized.

BROWN: I headed over to BROWN and was given a house tour by a sweet girl. I remember thinking that the house seemed a little cramped and most of the rooms held a lot of girls. I was then grabbed by a different active who I talked to for probably not even 5 minutes before it was time to go. She walked me out and gave me a big hug right before I stepped out the doors (which I was not ready for after just meeting her 5 minutes ago haha).

GREEN: Even though this house was the newest on campus, I still wanted to give them a second chance and an open mind. They didn’t have to invite me back and I was happy to see all that every sorority had to offer. However, the girl I was paired with did NOT seem like she wanted to talk to me at all. I was talking to her and noticed that she kept looking over my shoulder. I glanced over too and here’s pretty much how our conversation went.

Her: “Oh sorry I keep looking over your shoulder that girl over there looks like my old dance instructor.”
Me: “Oh that’s cool! You used to dance! I dance too! What kind of dance did you do?”
Her: “Wow she really does look exactly like her. I should go over there and say hello once we’re done talking. Anyway’s what’s your major again?”

I was cracking up at just how awkward the conversation had gone. That plus another active being rude to me while on the house tour made me feel so upset. I knew that I did not want to come back the next day.

PINK: After the horrible party at GREEN, I was excited to head over to PINK after the exciting day I had yesterday. I was picked up by a senior who had been a junior transfer. She told me that they always took really big transfer classes (around 15 or so) and that they all hungout with the seniors that had been previous junior transfers and how fun it was. Some girls came by to say hello that I had talked to the day prior, which really made me feel so welcomed. Then the sisterhood chair came by and we talked about sisterhood bonding events that they had in the past. We had a great conversation before another active, who I really connected with as well, came by to give me a house tour. I once again left this house feeling so happy.

TURQUOISE: After a long day, I was ready for house tours to be over but was so excited to be invited back to this house. A sweet sophomore picked me up and gave me a tour. Their house was one of the biggest and all of the rooms had just 4 girls that lived in them. We talked about sisterhood events and formals before she led me into a room to say hello to the President and Vice President. I felt a little intimidated being in a room by myself with three actives (especially 2 that were on exec) but they were super welcoming and mentioned that they had heard great things about me from the first day. I’m not sure if they did this to every PNM in that party, but I felt super special anyway. I loved this house and knew that it would possibly be my home.

I then went and ranked

1. TURQUOISE
1. PINK
1. PURPLE
1. CYAN
1. BLUE
2. BROWN
3. RED
4. GREEN