View Single Post
Old 02-16-2013, 09:58 PM
GreekChat Member

I can't remember which SEC school it was, but one of the Panhellenic website's addressed recs as something that helps sororities "manage the numbers."

I could be wrong, but I think recs becoming mandatory at some schools has evolved from RFM requiring chapters to release a certain number of PNMs starting early in the process. Think about a school like Bama where approximately 2000 PNMs rushed last year. First round brings all of them through your house where they spend maybe 30 minutes talking to a couple of sisters. How in the world do you make cuts with those kinds of dynamics? There has to be criteria for making them automatic -- and that criteria seems to be lower GPA or lacking a rec to your chapter.

Just my thoughts, but that's why I think they've become a huge deal at some schools where recruitment is fiercely competitive and there are record numbers of PNMs. "Managing the numbers" as it was said. I do a lot of recs every year and always tell the PNMs that the goal is to keep them in the game past first round. Recs don't even guarantee that, but do seem to up the chances in these massive SEC recruitments.

I, too, would like to see them eliminated and it isn't because I mind doing them. I don't mind at all, but they are often one of -- if not the -- most stressful aspects of recruitment prep for PNMs (and their moms) at these competitive schools. Given the purpose (I think) these recs really serve, I don't know how to make them unnecessary in such environments.

Last edited by greekdee; 02-16-2013 at 10:43 PM.