View Single Post
Old 02-05-2018, 01:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCMS View Post
There's also another trend I've heard of - not sure it's everywhere, but it is at some Greek-intensive SEC schools: Rush Gifts. Literally multiple times during the week. And not just little gifts, but really nice things. And for bid day? It's the norm to buy a Bid Day Basket. My knowledge is that they start at $100 and go upwards rather quickly. A friend's daughter went through rush last fall at Ole Miss and she spent a small fortune on these gifts. My friend - not from the South - was stunned to learn about them and said she felt like she "had to" buy the gifts since everyone was getting them.

Call me old fashioned, but this type of stuff just seems to coddle girls, as if they can't deal with the stress and frustration that is part of rush; even my friend said her daughter said "the gifts are a pick-me-up to get through the week". And it plays into the constant gift-giving the girls get once they've pledged, it's as if they need constant reassurance.
Ok, wait.. Rush Gifts? Are you saying potential members are receiving expensive gifts from initiated sisters during recruitment? If so, holy rush infraction, Batman!

@~/~~~~