View Single Post
Old 11-14-2020, 05:24 PM
GreekChat Member

COVID and its affect on GLO extension

I am wondering how COVID-19 will have an impact on the immediate and longer-term plans for GLO extensions.

COVID lock downs (etc) have caused many people (and their parents) to lose jobs. Tighter family or personal budgets will affect the affordability of a sorority or fraternity. Members who do have means may struggle with justifying the cost of a GLO when attending classes online from home. They can't have any of the traditional meetings, social activities or chapter experiences. For these practical reasons, I foresee membership levels to go down overall.

Also, a tangential thought....we've seen reports of an increase of members who are leaving their organizations because they have come to believe that GLOs are elitist/racist/etc. I don't know how widespread that is - there have been a handful of resignations of entire chapters - but there have been some members giving voice their exits.

These issues will affect a national office's bottom line and, given that new chapters probably cost money to support, I expect that extensions may slow down significantly. Is anyone aware of their GLO having plans to pause or slow down on extension until they can get a better picture on how things will pan out?

True and Constant