View Single Post
Old 03-21-2017, 10:45 AM
GreekChat Member

My COB story! Follow along.

Hi all,

This is my first post on this thread after having lurked around for a few weeks. Wahoo!

I am currently a sophomore at a northern school. I'm not sure how competitive my school is, but generally most girls who go through formal recruitment will get a bid.

My freshman year, I did not participate in formal recruitment. At the time, I had no clue what Greek life really was, and all I knew were the negative stereotypes associated with it. However, I eventually came to know some really nice girls who were in Greek life. So, my perceptions of sororities changed. I realized how fun and enriching sisterhood can be, and I signed up for formal recruitment this past fall.

I found formal recruitment to be somewhat overwhelming, and I honestly didn't realize how much of a time commitment joining a sorority would be. I eventually dropped out of recruitment before preference day due to personal reasons (I had recently been offered a position at an amazing internship, but it would have prevented me from having free time on the evenings, when chapter/other events would have taken place).

Now, my internship is over, and COB is starting up! There was one sorority that I really liked during formal, and I am planning to rush them when they hold informal in early April. I should note that they did not pref me-- I don't know if that matters. Informal recruitment here is very casual-- the sorority advertises the events, and anybody can come. I have already met with the chapter president to learn more about her experience, and I went to a chapter fundraising event. It was framed as a "meet the sisters" event despite not being on the official informal recruitment events list, so I'm not sure what that means. But I had fun anyways!

I'll post updates as I go. I'm very excited, but nervous at the same time.