View Single Post
Old 08-10-2007, 10:18 AM
GreekChat Member

I had been exposed to Delta during my teen years. I was in a high school sorority-type group and everytime we found out that one of our mentors was a member of a D9, she turned out to be a Delta. Even as a teen, those women embodied leadership, they were active in their communities, professional and were overall just the ish!

As I got into my jr./sr. year of high school, my older cousin would give me advice on my upcoming collegiate experience. She introduced me to the awesome world that is O-State's Residence Life & other leadership opps she knew I'd love. She gave me tips on how to survive, and promised to always look out for me. I looked through her graduation pictures the summer before I went to college and lo and behold her stole read: Delta Sigma Theta.

The second I got to school I was eager to be involved. everything. Community service, great. Public speaking group, awesome. Hall council, yes. RA, that was in the works. Even as a freshman I was very much involved, and as I looked around it seemed that (practically) every strong, well-spoken and highly favored black woman I'd see in these groups, leading the pack if you will... yeah, you guessed it - Deltas.

They were beacons of light on campus.

Their dedication to the community was unprecedented, whether it be through extensive programming or service projects.

Name an organization and one of them was either on exec. board or an esteemed member.

I was convinced. The history was one committed to service and change. The presence on campus embodied the same. In my humble mind, I was excited about what the ladies were doing on campus, and imagined what I could do for (and with) them, too. I knew right then in Winter of 2002 what had been placed in my heart annnnnnnnnnnnnnd my soul. Now...how to get it - that was the question. LOL.

Give or take some days, weeks, months and years, with NO advice from all-knowing cousin (The most help she gave was making "adjustments" to my wardrobe 'for my sake'. LOL) ...Spring 2005 came and Infamous was born.

Corporate Thuggin'