Thread: DNA Tests
View Single Post
Old 01-08-2017, 10:55 PM
GreekChat Member

I did 23andme over a year ago. Here in Canada you get health info as well, which factored into the choice. Recently I decided to do AncestryDNA as well because I built my family tree there and would like more family matches.

It was really worth it to me. I went in for the ancestry info, but found running the raw data through Promethease gave me so much health info that actually helped me choose medications (turns out I'm an ultrarapid metabolizer of some which explained a lot).

Ancestry wise 23andme gave me some snippets of ancestry I didn't expect, like little bits of Iberian and Southern European I'd love to trace. I'm curious how Ancestry will break down the UK/Irish because 23andme lists it as "British and Irish" while Ancestry.com breaks down Celtic ancestry separately.

Overall it's been totally worth it. If you're interested in health info, try out Promethease - https://promethease.com/

You just download the zip file of your raw data from whichever site you used and upload it. For 5 bucks you get a TON of health info. Ancestry actually tests more SNPs than 23andme right now so I'll be running the Ancestry DNA test as well.

I got my mom and 23andme test for Xmas, so I'm excited to see how that affects my results (and I'll be able to break down which side some DNA came from). I find 23andme is better for comparing results to family members which is why I got her that one.