Thread: Medical School
View Single Post
Old 03-23-2008, 05:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by minDyG View Post
I didn't want to start a new thread, so sorry if this seems like a hijack...

Recently I've met a huge group of fourth year med students at Medical College of Georgia (they just started frequenting my place of employment). Last week, they all found out where they matched for next year for their internship and residency. The process reminded me a LOT of recruitment and bids matching, so of course I was fascinated by the whole thing! Does anyone know more about how the process works, if it is in fact similar to bid matching? Just curious!
Yes...it is very similar to bid matching. The difference is that you apply for the residency programs that you would consider going to. I applied to 11 general surgery programs when I went through the match, but some people apply to over 90 programs for the more competitive programs (ie Dermatology, Orthopaedics, ENT.) The programs invite you to interview based on whether or not your meet their criteria. At the end, you make a list of the programs in order of how you liked them and the programs do the same with the applicants. The two are secretly matched in the same way.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!