View Single Post
Old 04-18-2008, 02:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: location, location... isn't that what it's all about?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky SC View Post
I have friends at both Princeton and Brown, some went greek, the other 2 kids are playing baseball for princeton so they didn't join a GLO.

And to me the most important part of the whole thing is the social aspect, i mean as much as you would like to believe that (for example) a Sigma Chi is going to help out any other Sigma Chi around the country, that just aint gonna happen. You aren't going to hire someone based off of their fraternal background rather then job qualification. I think people put a little bit too much emphasis on the "perks" of going greek. It's overwhelmingly a social thing, you get a lot of driven people in them who do a lot on campus because that is the type of people they attract, driven people will strive for excellence no matter what and sign up for lots of stuff. No matter how strong your greek system is, its not gonna shape out the leaders of America, its kids in college having a good time, class is where that happens.

If anything, GLO's that have a lot of legacy and aren't necessarily as big are more likely to stick together and help eachother get a leg up in the job market, because of how much time they have gotten to known eachother and stuff they have gone through, not because named fraternity was both pinned on them at one time.

and i wasn't making this into a pissing contest for the North or South, Geographically that is where i feel the strongest systems are... theres plenty of schools in the south that i would argue aren't that good. I just think schools overall in the South Eastern Conference have better then average systems.

and i think qualatative has a lot more to do with it then quantative.
Hey, Lucky, I've usually enjoyed your posts, but I have to say, for someone who's basically only been on the periphery of the greek system so far, you're talking out of your a$$ throughout most of this post.