Thread: Disaffiliation
View Single Post
Old 02-10-2017, 12:56 PM
GreekChat Member

As a recent graduate, I'd comfortably say >85% of our disaffiliations are related to financial concerns. They'd have trouble paying for school, housing, extra-curriculars, and as someone said earlier, first thing to get cut is the sorority as it was by far the most expensive, second maybe to housing.

The economy wasn't kind to many of us since 2007 as I'm sure so many of you know. From a student perspective, our parents were getting laid off, we were working to pay for school, some took on extra jobs just to stay in the sorority. I went to a public flagship university that was touted for its affordability, but that doesn't mean the debt didn't pile on for many classmates. Greek Life got more and more expensive as our housing needed to be renovated, expanded, etc. Rather than go into more debt, they made the financially responsible decision they needed to make. I've cried with sisters who had to disaffiliate and/or drop out of school from financial burdens. They wanted to stay.

Sorry for the ramble - it was painful to lose so many sisters to something that felt out of our control.