View Single Post
Old 02-12-2018, 08:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASTalumna06 View Post
I'm sorry, but this is bull****.

College is a different world. A young person living under their parents' roof for 18 years is suddenly thrown into a place with no parents, thousands of other students their age, and is expected to make major life decisions on their own, and you think that what their parents have always taught them is going to stick 100%?

I've known people who were straight as an arrow in high school that turned into raging alcoholics in college. I also have a friend who didn't drink a drop of alcohol in college because she drank all throughout middle school and high school and she was trying to turn her life around.

Putting it all on the parents is ridiculous.
Other 18 year olds are married, some are single parents, some are in Iraq or Afghanistan. You best believe they can, and should, be able to make major life decisions on their own. Only on college campuses are they treated as pseudo-adults until they're 22, or in some cases, even older. It's a cultural thing.

Maybe I was raised differently, but I had real talk about alcohol and drug use in my house growing up. Then again, I knew people who were out and out addicts and alcoholics, so I never wanted to grow up to be like those people. Kids are sheltered. They're protected from the realities of the world.

In the military, people join when they're 18, there's alcohol everywhere when you get to your first duty station (even AIT in some cases), yet you don't hear about those kids drinking themselves to death? There's drugs too- if you want them.

I get so sick of people on this site coddling college kids. Coddling them is what got them into the situation in the first place.