View Single Post
Old 11-08-2013, 11:20 AM
GreekChat Member

If I were in a fraternity (well, technically I am, but not THAT kind of fraternity) and a last-semester grad student wanted to join for what would basically be a few weeks, I'd just laugh.
1), Most of the chapter is probably undergrad so he would probably not be amused by some of the antics.
2), Would there be other pledges? Or do they do most of their pledging first semester? If there are no other pledges, and IF he's lucky enough to get a bid, he's not going to have the same type of experience.
3), He's not going to be there long enough to build the same types of friendships as someone who's been there a couple of years. He won't be rushing a couple more pledges classes under him, going for beer runs, partying, studying etc....he won't have many shared experiences that build brotherhood.
3), Besides dues, what would the fraternity get out of this? He's not going to be here long enough to be an officer, or help pledge the next group. He would be there long enough to do the grunt work pledges do, but not long enough to enjoy the benefits when he's a brother.

Now, if he's going for another grad degree and will be around for another two or three semesters, it might work. But if he's going to get his degree and look for a full-time job, he probably won't have much time to work with the chapter as an alum.

But it could happen. Fraternities don't seek out new members the same way, or en masse, sororities do. They're much more likely to pledge an upperclassman, or a grad student, if enough brothers hit it off with him. They also don't necessarily hew to set pledge periods and rules like sororities do.

So...it could happen. Not likely, but it could happen.