View Single Post
Old 02-17-2013, 01:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Back in my day (boy do I sound like my grandmother or what), a rec was a rare and precious jewel. Believe me, when the rush chair said "we got a rec on her," the response was "ooooh wow" and that rushee got a closer look. Today, in the SEC and schools like it, I think the conversation is more like "Rec? Check."

I just don't know how to eliminate the current rec situation in these huge recruitments because recs do factor into who survives early release under RFM. Eventually, though, everyone at these schools will have recs because the word is out. What then? Release the girls who have less than 12 recs? If GPA becomes the sole factor in automatic early cuts, it will get to the point where a 3.8 is considered on the low end of the scale. That's ridiculous. Hey, maybe total can be raised to 700! Seriously, there has to be a better way to manage the numbers.

I just wish I knew what it was, but feel like it needs to be built into the recruitment process, allowing more opportunity to meet PNMs...yet these SEC recruitments are already made up of long, jam-packed days. If you start having a lot of early pre-recruitment events, well, that will put a lot of OSS girls at a disadvantage. Given the dynamics they are working with, I don't see the current rec situation changing in the near future.

Man, can you imagine what the mail load looks like? Imagine if every one one of Bama's 2000 PMNs had two recs to every chapter? Would not want to sort through that!

I do wonder how deferred recruitment might work at these schools with massive, uber-competitive recruitments. It would give sorority members a whole semester to meet PNMs and see them out and about. I don't see it happening, at least not in the SEC where tradition rules...but you do sometimes need to change with the times and adapt to your environment! Just a thought, good or bad.

Last edited by greekdee; 02-17-2013 at 01:58 AM.