View Single Post
Old 04-26-2012, 01:10 AM
GreekChat Member

I think there's a similar issue with sororities, although there are 2 NPC sororities on record as being nonsectarian. I don't know if there are any fraternities who are. But in my case, there is a clearly religious aspect to our ritual that I know for sure some members wouldn't agree with religiously (me for instance, but I wasn't as clear in my agnosticism (?) at 18). I believe the policy for non-Christians is to remain silent during that portion although it was never discussed as far as I know but I don't think the Jewish members of my sorority would be required to recite every bit of our ritual, just as an example.

My suggestion would be to feel out the chapter and not worry about the literal ritual. If they feel a little crispy for you, look elsewhere. Even the fraternities that have a strongly religious background might be a good fit for you based on the actives, the campus, the times, etc. Don't limit your choices based on a 100+ year old ritual. You can take the positive ideals (be a good person, don't be a douche) out of a Christian, Jewish or Hindu prayer without having to vow allegiance to any particular god. But that's just my opinion.