View Single Post
Old 09-04-2002, 09:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks so much, Maharet - you have put it so well. We are all, indeed, sisters in NPC and if ever we needed to stand together in defense of our heritage and history, it is with this situation on eBay. My heart broke again today when I spoke with the daughter-in-law of the deceased owner of a Kappa badge that just sold to a well-known collector for over $500. She has no idea how it got on eBay, but suspects it was taken in a burglary her mother-in-law suffered some years ago. She wanted to retrieve the pin to pass to the granddaughters of its owner, with the hope that they or their daughters might become Kappas some day, and it would have such a special meaning to them. But the seller would not even respond to her contact, and she simply could not pay the $600-$1000 it would take to outbid a collector with seemingly unlimited funds. And I know that there is no point in approaching the buyer about the importance of its return to the family when the prevailing attitude is "Finders Keepers, Losers Weepers." The losers ARE weeping today.

Each NPC group shares this sentiment about their own little pins - I wonder, do the men's groups feel as strongly or is this, as a dear Kappa friend put it, an example of "men are from Mars, women are from Venus?" We are truly ruled by our hearts in this cause, and I am proud of that. I appreciate your shared concern and commitment to what we believe as Greek women. I hope by working together with our sister NPC groups, we can prevail in our noble effort to preserve the dignity and heritage our badges represent. Thanks for writing, Maharet - good luck to us all....we are ALL suffering.
Mary