View Single Post
Old 11-20-2008, 10:38 PM

I know I'm double posting, but I found an article (editorial) in the SC student paper dated October 12th about the expansion and urges University officials to reconsider the ban on Greek Life:

http://www.thesantaclara.com/home/in...a-4985dd1b8217

Excerpt:

In the spring of 2001, Santa Clara's Greek system was kicked off campus so that the university could refocus funds for campus life.

Seven years later, the Greek system is not only thriving, but growing with the addition of Sigma Chi fraternity last year and Kappa Kappa Gamma sorority this fall.

As the university welcomes a new president, it is time to reconsider whether bringing Greeks back on campus is in the best interest for students and campus life.

We need to examine the impact this change would have on the Santa Clara community and explore how the incorporation of Greek organizations might be worth the resources it would demand. On Oct. 11, 2000, then-Provost Denise Carmody charged the University Policy Committee on Student Affairs (UPC) to conduct a review of the university's Greek system.

The intent was to determine if the Greek system contributed positively "to building a vital community of scholars whose members collaborate as partners in learning and scholarship to provide an integrated educational experience."

After conducting research and hearing presentations from several sources, the UPC concluded that the system should be retained, but outlined significant changes it wished to see.

In President Paul Locatelli, S.J.'s Initial Response on March 2, 2001, he wrote that the changes recommended by the UPC were practical, but the money needed to implement them could better be spent improving student life on campus, such as the creation of the Bronco, as well as the relatively young Residential Learning Community program.

Locatelli wrote, "Greek life raises a significant concern insofar as it could easily become a distraction from or competitive with the RLC experience."

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 11-21-2008 at 12:10 AM.