View Single Post
Old 09-06-2015, 01:47 PM
GreekChat Member

I read Howdy 96's thread and thought that her description of how she got her recs was great! No matter what the university says (especially in the South), recs are important. Libby obtained her recs through different sources. Libby started searching for recs before Christmas of her senior year. (I know that sounds early, but she was looking at several colleges and wanted all bases covered!)

First, she registered with our local Panhellenic and submitted everything they asked for before the deadline. Through our local Panhellenic she met with two wonderful ladies, a Watercolor and a Dune Allen beach. She met them at Starbucks (individually) and they wrote her recs for those chapters. Not only did she register with Panhellenic, she sought out "personal" recs as well to make sure each chapter was covered.

I think it is imperative for future PNMs to note that if your local Panhellenic asks you to organize things in a certain way, and to meet deadlines, please do so. I wrote recs for my sorority and greatly appreciated the info that was given to me. Although I knew many of the ladies I wrote recs for personally, it was still very helpful to have a detailed resume.

Also, I want to point out that Libby responded to every single rec writer (that she knew of) with a handwritten thank you note, and a Starbucks gift card ($5) for their time. She sent the thank you note within several days of giving these ladies her information. She did not have "fun" writing these notes, but it is a simple way to be gracious and appreciative. Maybe it's a Southern thing, but anyone who has written recs knows that it takes some time to write them. Thank you notes are such a small gesture, and they are greatly appreciated!

Perdido Key: Libby obtained several recs to this chapter through her friends' moms, and one of her favorite teachers in high school. Also, Libby's second grade teacher (who I am still friends with) wrote a BEAUTIFUL letter of support for her. She was right out of college when she taught Libby, and was thrilled to write the LOS for her.

Navarre Beach: Again, Libby contacted several of her friends' moms to write recs. Her godmother is also a Navarre Beach and wrote a rec for her.

Ft. Walton: One of my sorority sister's mom is an absolutely precious Ft. Walton Beach alumna. My sorority sister and I have remained close since college, and Libby spent an afternoon just visiting with Ms. Fort Walton Beach while my friend and I had snacks, beverages, and caught up. Also, a friend that I work with wrote a Ft. Walton rec.

Miramar Beach: One of Libby's BFF's mom is a Miramar Beach...in fact, she and I went through rush together in the stone ages. I wrote BFF's rec for my sorority and BFF's mom wrote for Libby.

Grayton Beach: We have a close relative whom Libby adores who wrote her rec for Grayton Beach. Also, an acquaintance of mine wrote a rec for Libby. Libby is the one who approached these ladies for recs, however!

Rosemary Beach: We have a close relative who wrote one of her recs for Rosemary Beach. I also have a lifelong friend who is a Rosemary who wrote a rec for her.

Seaside: My husband grew up with a lovely lady who is a Seaside. She wrote a rec for Libby. Libby also knows several Seasides through our church and several actives (at another school) from camp. The Seaside ladies at our church wrote her recs as well.

Blue Mountain Beach: My lifelong best friend is a Blue Mountain. She wrote Libby's rec for her. I believe an acquaintance of mine who is on our area Panhellenic also wrote a rec for her.

Alys Beach: One of Libby's favorite teachers from high school wrote her Alys Beach rec. **She let her teachers know that she was going through recruitment, and many of them offered to write recs for her.

Santa Rosa Beach: Prior to June of this year we only knew one Santa Rosa and she is a collegiate active. Libby was very stressed about finding a "personal" rec to this house. As luck would have it, we became friends with a mom and daughter at an event we attended in June...and mom was a very active Santa Rosa alumna in her area. She wrote Libby's rec for her.

Seagrove Beach: One of my childhood friends is a Seagrove Beach. She wrote Libby's rec for her and gave her fabulous advice about recruitment. It's interesting how our kids will listen to other people make the same points we have tried to make over and over.