Thread: Fraternity Life
View Single Post
Old 03-30-2003, 06:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Excelsior301
MTV is a trip. I'm watching the episode of Frat Life from last night. The scene at the zoo just came on. The camera zooms in on a No Trespassing Authorized Personnel Only sign but do they stop the guys? Of course not. It will make for greating viewing.
MTV should hold some of the blame at the zoo. It's not like they weren't aware of what was going on. They were standing there taping it
MTV has a hands-off policy when it comes to the things that happen on their reality shows (well, to an extent). I remember "Real World: Hawaii" being a big deal because sending Ruthie to detox was the first time they had ever "intervened" in a filming process during RW. I recall reading an interview with the producers where they said that they had a dilemma between preserving the "unscripted" nature of the show and making sure Ruthie didn't kill herself. I think unless the people they're filming are doing something extremely harmful that can get them killed or kill somebody else, the camera crew/other crew members are not allowed to intervene.

Of course, after Hawaii, RW realized that it could get more viewers by showing drama drama drama all the time, and in doing so, they lost the unscripted nature of the show. But RW Hawaii is the first time that MTV realized that casting for drama and pushing drama along makes for "better" TV (I put better in quotes because I'm inclined to disagree) and more viewers, and without it we probably would never have shows like Sorority Life and Fraternity Life.