GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
?

(just kidding)

YES.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
I think with grade inflation, the ACT/SAT become more important. They are most definitely flawed, but they are an equalizer. I'm amazed to hear about people with 3.5 gpas or higher and ACT scores in the mid-20's. To me that kind of GPA should be reflected in a 30 or better ACT.
Quote:
Originally Posted by als463 View Post
Yeah, seriously. I've seen such inflated GPAs that when I've talked to the person, it's hard to believe they are anything more than a "C" average student at best. I'm shocked at how easy it seems for some students to have a 4.0 or higher and makes me question how much we have watered down curriculum in order to get students the best grades they can so they can go to college.
While grades may be inflated, this still applies (at least at Montclair):

Quote:
Over the past decade, the University has reviewed its admissions criteria to determine how the various factors considered in the admissions process track with student retention, academic success and graduation rates. According to Dr. Cole, the University has verified that the most powerful predictor of college success is a student’s performance in high school and, in particular, the high school GPA and the rigor of the courses taken.
To me, this says that regardless of whether or not grades are inflated, those students with higher high school GPAs (especially those in more difficult classes) are performing better in college, and SAT/ACT scores don't generally line up with a student's college GPA.

Also, the article makes the following point, which I think is a valid one. This may explain why some students have very good high school GPAs, but low SAT/ACT scores:

Quote:
The President added that it is the University’s view that standardized tests can have the undesirable effect of disadvantaging capable, striving students from middle and lower socio-economic backgrounds, many of whom do not have the benefit of costly preparation courses.

@~/~~~~