View Single Post
Old 04-30-2012, 07:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
Really, if there isn't something that needs to be DISCUSSED, it should be bypassed, particularly if your group tends to go long. Any straight forward announcements can be done in paper or electronic form, preferably BEFORE the meeting in case it turns out the announcement requires discussion or rebuttal. Our meetings were long, IMO, but nothing like some meetings I've been part of as an adult. Thankfully my collegiate chapter wasn't full of middle aged women who need a hobby (re: a group I belonged to in Dubai) so it was in everyone's interest to get through the business and get on with the fun. And I don't think programming should be considered part of chapter, partly because your speaker would likely not be participating in any closing ceremonies of your chapter and partly because, as stated above, if some girls need to leave, at least they are fully committed to chapter. Even if the programming is a rockin good time, it will come off better if chapter took 1 hour, even if the girls were together for 4 hours that night.

Exec is another can of worms, and if you can keep that to an hour I think you've mastered something MANY organizations haven't.
Our exec is actually shorter than normal chapter (E-board is 1 hour). I think part of it is people just not listening and asking questions that have already been covered. We're getting better about that portion though.