View Single Post
Old 10-20-2009, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strawberrygloss View Post
It was such a dramatic change! Last year I was envious of girls with full schedules, with chapters they loved, and now I was being envied!

I worked on:
Conversation:
-I practiced on EVERYONE (people at Starbucks, new people I meet etc.) on good rush conversations.
-I made a list of good conversation topics. Things that I like and my accomplishments that could easily flow off of the introductory "where do you live?" "what is your major" topics. For example: "where do you live?" I said in an apartment with three roommates whom I LOVE. We cook together and have movie nights together. This gave the rusher many topics to go off of.
-I always had positive subjects. If the rusher said something negative, I would turn it into a positive subject.
-I also made sure to know the rushers name and said it often. Subconsciously people like this
-I was very engaged in the conversation. Leaning towards my rusher, using my hands etc.
-I said how much I like ____ part of the house. For example: "I like how I feel very much at home here"
-If I was double rushed, I tried to not "compete" with the other girl. I tried to share the conversation with the other girl. If she was shy I would say something and pass it off to the other girl where she could respond. (For questions like where are you from and such)

Knowing people in the house
-There were a few people in my dorm in sororities, so I would keep in contact with them throughout the year
-During the winter/spring I sent out a facebook message to girls in sororities that I had loved and told them that I really liked their sorority and asked if they were doing informal (during spring, chapters don't announce it). So they knew I was interested.

Grades/Involved on Campus
-My GPA in high school was pretty good (a 3.7 on a 4.0 scale), and in college it stayed that way (a 3.7 on a 4.0 scale). It showed that I could handle the college workload.
-I was very involved in two activities. RHA--I was my dorm's president and Relay for Life where I led a team. I tried to make these come up in conversation

Dress
What I wore was very important to me and I felt like that was what got me behind the girls last year (though probably not true--I wasn't a good conversationalist and I had zero confidence)
-I knew what the girls wore last year (trendy top, premium jeans, flats) and was able to take that into my own style.
-I also knew to dress a little bit fancier than the guide they gave. I even heard girls say how they would rather be underdressed than overdressed!--They didn't do very well!
-I searched FOREVER for my pref dress. I thankfully knew the guidelines (how fancy and not to wear black or white) and a GC'er on here helped so much!

I was also CONFIDENT in myself
Thank you for sharing.

I sometimes don't think PNMs understand that if they're going to rush again, something HAS to be different in order for them to get a different result the second time around.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 10-20-2009 at 08:19 PM.