View Single Post
Old 06-03-2020, 03:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chi-o_cat View Post
Here’s an idea I think that could work:

The NPC itself (not individual orgs) would establish some sort of Pre-Greek Club at community colleges for students who are interested in going through recruitment after they transfer to a 4-year institution.

This club could provide:
-An opportunity to learn more about what joining a sorority would be like
-Community Service (something to put on their “recruitment resume”)
-Academic Support
-Recruitment Prep- help to get recs, conversation practice
-Networking with current NPC collegians and/or alumnae

If the members successfully meet Pre-Greek Club goals by say, participating in a certain number of hours of community service and a having certain GPA, they would receive an official status that would give them an extra foot in the door, but not a guaranteed bid when they go through recruitment at their 4-year school. Maybe they would be invited back to the first invitational round, but then after that it’s up to the chapters to decide if they are interested. Or maybe have a special quota number for Pre-Greek transfers.

This obviously avoids all the sticky affiliation scenarios listed in this thread, but it does open up the possibility of NPC membership to a new audience of women who otherwise might have not been interested (or even women who *are* interested, but as a junior transfer, they assume shouldn’t even bother to try).

This does mean collegiate chapters would need to be open to a more diverse group of PNMs- you’re going to have older PNMs, PNMs with jobs, PNMs who live off-campus, PNMs who are first–generation college students. But if the point of the NPC task force looking into CCs in the first place is to expand membership beyond the usual low-hanging fruit, then this could be a place to start.
And then, after a decade of CC women who move on to join an NPC group, possibly noting the great majority of groups have not offered many/any memberships to said CC club women?

I say no to specific CC clubs.

Keep MS as it is now and let each of our 26 member groups make their OWN decision to offer membership to ANY specific "type" of student.

It's only words, and words are all I have to take your heart away.

Last edited by Cheerio; 06-03-2020 at 07:57 PM.