View Single Post
Old 07-17-2010, 12:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post

Lane swerving big time, and merely FWIW, but in my experience with friends and family who are in NPC sororities, philanthropy was not a big deal back in the day. By that, I certainly don't mean that doing charitable/philanthropic things weren't a big deal. They were. I mean rush didn't include a philanthropy round (I don't think), and the idea of connecting with a particular group because you liked their philanthropy just didn't seem to be part of the picture at all. While I may have been ignorant, I don't remember particular sororities being associated with particular philanthropies. GC introduced me to the current importance of that idea.

Maybe I just wasn't noticing, though.

/back to my lane.
No, you are correct.

I was in college during the early 90s and there was no philanthropy round and most chapters on my campus did not even have a signature philanthropy event. DG had anchorsplash, which I think may have been a national thing, but beyond that I don't remember a single other event and we had 10 chapters. It wasn't that we weren't good people- we were!- but we obtained our service hours through individual service projects. However, service hours were not something that was highlighted during recruitment, and my favorable memories of sorority life do not really include them.

Back to the original post, a few things. First, I find the story completely heartbreaking for that PNM. Mommy really needs to get a grip and start letting daughter live her own life. I can't believe that someone would be selfish enough to actually put that type of pressure on their own child.

The suggestions to talk with the mom are excellent. Times have completely changed and most of that generation have not kept up. OP- do you think mom is nutty enough to really follow through with the threat of not paying? I was going to suggest that you help her get the other recs, but what if she gets a bid to a different group? Would she have to depledge because the PNM alone can't afford SEC dues?

ETA: everyone must type fast than I do. Sorry for the repeat info.

Last edited by ComradesTrue; 07-17-2010 at 12:57 PM.