Thread: Question
View Single Post
Old 11-14-2017, 06:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsongirl View Post
Without knowing much about extension students (I've never heard the term in my admittedly short time in higher ed), generally a student has to be matriculated full-time at a university to be a member of that chapter. I suppose it would depend on how the university defines a matriculated student, but based on your description of a student who didn't go through the admissions process I would lean towards not fully matriculated and therefore not eligible to affiliate with a chapter. Put another way, if the woman could not sign up for recruitment at this university I don't think she could affiliate with a chapter there either.

edit: Googling says that extension programs are usually for continuing education adults and not for credit, but I'm guessing that's different than what this student is doing?
I'm thinking there's some wiggle room in that full-time matriculation requirement -- at least with some sororities. Texas A&M sororities have members who are part of what's known as the Blinn Team. This is a program where students who weren't able to gain immediate admission to TAMU are able to attend Blinn College (a local junior college) full-time and take one class at TAMU with the goal of maintaining a high enough college GPA to later gain full-time admission to TAMU. I believe UT also has a similar program with the local community college.

As others have said though, the sorority's international/national headquarters would be the best authority on this situation.