View Single Post
Old 12-31-2015, 12:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieMaggie View Post
I was devastated when my chapter closed, the second of approximately 10 different sororities that closed in the 1970s and 1980s at LSU. APhi has recolonized and I have found myself recharged and excited. I have kept up with many of my sisters. But, when I have received invitations to events over the years, I have just put them to the side.

I do follow what is now going on at Delta Tau at LSU and find myself so incredibly jazzed and proud. After many e-mails and invitations, several of us have decided to attend the Red Dress Gala and we have filled 2 tables and working on table 3. Ordered several red dresses and found one that is perfect. We have been encouraged to go and don't get the feeling we will be received as "those creepy old ladies" that usually show up at homecoming and don't plan on becoming a COL.

Now, my question to other older alumnae, "Is it silly to feel so excited and do you think we will appear silly to the younger members?" My old tee shirts have also "shrunk significantly" and I do feel a self conscious about my weight? I am a professional "serious" woman and am laughing a little at myself that I am so looking forward to going. My husband didn't hesitate to agree to go so I have a date too! Am I overthinking this and should I just go and have a great time? What are your experiences going to this type of function as a mature alumnae? Love to hear your feedback and stories.
Maggie, Maggie. Go and enjoy!
I also saw my chapter close in the 1970s. I made darn sure I was there when it reopened just 4 years ago.
So did a bunch of other alumnae who were there in the 1940s, 50s, 60s, and 70s. I try to come to events once or twice a year. I'd come more often but we live 2.5 hours away. Every year we still have a few alums return who haven't been on campus in decades.

The current members love love love to have alumnae come around. Don't be afraid to talk to them. Ask questions about the sorority's activities - ask about them. Don't bore them too much with tales of "way back when" but do tell them some things. They love seeing that their brand new chapter actually has history.

As for wearing a T shirt - if I was still in my 30s, I might, but as an overweight gray-haired grandma, I don't. I don't want anybody to think that all the current members look like me! BUT I do tend to wear a lot of anchors when I'm there!

It's a freakin' miracle to see your chapter revived, so make the most of it and celebrate it!