View Single Post
Old 03-22-2012, 11:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiKA2001 View Post
I wasn't born until Reagan's first term so I can't speak on experience but other than Watergate I've never heard anything derogatory about the man, same with Kennedy even though I've heard that Kennedy wasn't exactly the most popular president while he was in office.

And isn't every president doomed to be a polarizing figure? It seems that no matter what you do or say as long as you associate with a political party the other half of the country isn't going to agree with you or your policies.
Nixon was shady long before Watergate. Read up about the Alger Hiss trial.. Nixon helped prosecute him. Although he publicly called Joe McCarthy a fraud, he supported McCarthy in many of his actions.

Kennedy became extremely popular because he was assassinated. He was very polarizing but someone needed to be, to get the Civil Rights issues out there, IMHO.

That said, I have a really hard time understanding why people don't want everybody to have health insurance and access to good health care. I just don't get why people think that either some people should just be left to die or that hospitals should be expected to provide services for free. It doesn't make sense to me.