View Single Post
Old 10-28-2002, 05:10 PM
Super Moderator

I know that when the sororities were forced into Amos Hall, there was a lottery to decide who got what suite. ADPi won, and we took the Penthouse (10). I don't know how the others came in the lottery, but as I remember it, the floors were:
10- ADPi
9- Tri-Delta
8- Sigma Delta Tau (formal end only)
7- Theta Phi Alpha (formal end only), then KD
6- Tri-Sigma (formal end only, mostly Tri-Delts & ADPi's on the other side) (formal side WAS Phi Sigma)
5- AEPhi (formal end only, mostly Chi-O's on the other side)
4- Chi-O
3- Delta Phi Epsilon (formal end only, mostly DZ's on the other side)
2- Delta Zeta

Our founder was alive until fairly recently, and she gave us some of the scoops of how things went. Our house was on Bigelow Blvd, where the medical building/parking garage for the Holiday Inn is now. We still have the light from the front of the house, but don't use it.

The Kappas & the Thetas had already started building their house when the big change went into effect (that's why they didn't live in Amos), and even in the suites, they still had to have a housemother! She usually lived in the room(s) off the kitchen, but it was different for each sorority. There was a service elevator in the stairwell (the stairwell is much different from when I was there), and it was bigger than the other elevator. It was shut down in the early 1970's, but you could have larger pieces of furniture brought up on it! It was also open for moving in, I understand. Oh, everyone also had a locker in the basement, for storage. It was around 1977 that everyone had to give that up.

Every dorm on campus had a large portrait of whomever it was named after, ie: Miss Amos (Dean of Women at one point, I think).

I have floor plans of Amos Hall from when it was built, and will be giving one that was changed to ADPi 1960-1980 in the next month or so. If I can figure out how to scan & send it, I'll try to do so, if anyone wants it. I can be a geek about stuff like that!

honeychile