Thread: DNA Tests
View Single Post
Old 02-06-2017, 04:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by navane View Post
In all, I was pleased with the product. About 15 years ago, we found a family in Poland that shares our uncommon surname and comes from the same region that my family comes from. Looking at photos, their great-uncle and my father bear a striking resemblance. We figure we're related somehow; but, we've not been able to work out the common ancestor. We've kept in touch as "honorary family" all of these years. I went to Poland a few years ago to visit with my mother's side of the family. While there, I got to meet the other family possibly related to my dad's side. They were really great and we're hoping to figure the mystery out some day. Well, part of that mystery is going to be solved shortly. I ordered an extra Ancestry DNA kit and I'm going to send it out to Poland. My "honorary cousin" in Poland agreed to spit into the tube and mail it back to the U.S. Then, using Ancestry DNA's matching feature, we will finally be able to determine if we are blood related or not! It won't tell us who the common ancestor is; but, it will be able to give us a scientific probability of whether or not we are blood-related. I have the extra kit here and plan to mail it out to Poland sometime this week. I will try to remember to come back and let you know how it works out!

Update! The kit went out to Europe, my "honorary cousin" spit into the tube and I just received the kit back today! I immediately put it right back into the mail to be sent to the lab. So, provided the sample was good and the solution was able to stay fresh enough during the long trip in the mail, we should have some kind of answer in a few weeks!

True and Constant