View Single Post
Old 05-17-2006, 04:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to jitterbug13 Send a message via Yahoo to jitterbug13
Soror Ralph receives grant from MAC AIDS Fund (BV)

Sheryl Lee Ralph's one woman show, 'Sometimes I Cry' was recently awarded a $40,000 Education/Awareness grant for Creative Theater Program from M.A.C. AIDS Fund. The play -- written and conceived by the actress-- depicts the raw and real life stories of women infected and affected by HIV/AIDS. Ralph, who has been active in the fight for AIDS awareness for the past two decades, was motivated to do the show when she realized just how much the face of HIV/AIDS had really changed and how little was being said. "These women’s voices have been silent for too long in the struggle against HIV/AIDS and they must be heard," said the 'Dreamgirls' star, who is currently touring the country with the show. "Their health and well-being matters also." The play will be performed June 9, at Newark, New Jersey's Essex Community College, and June 25, at New York City's Aaron Davis Hall.

"[We are] proud to be able to support DIVA Foundation founder, Sheryl Lee Ralph, through her one-woman show," Bruce Hunter, Interim Executive Director/Executive Program Director for the M.A.C. AIDS Fund, told Black Voices. "An award winning actress and AIDS activist, who has generously donated her time to various M.A.C. (Make-up Arts Cosmetics) AIDS Fund events, Ms. Ralph brings very clear goals and expectations to this project." Since 1994, The M.A.C. AIDS Fund had provided funding to non-profit HIV/AIDS organizations and programs for basic needs, health-related recreational activities, and programs that bring HIV/AIDS education, awareness and prevention to public attention.

Plans are currently being firmed up for the show to tour campuses of Historically Black Colleges and Universities, this fall.

"I'd rather be hated for what I am than loved for what I'm not."--Kanye West

"Black is the new President."--Tracey Morgan