View Single Post
Old 08-16-2009, 06:54 PM
GreekChat Member

I have to agree with quite a few people on this issue. I think the way IU housing is structured leads people to seek out the Greek system for a place to live the next year. Dorms are geared almost indefinitely towards freshman/international students. We had a total of two sophomores on my floor of about 45 last year. Furthermore, I do believe (although I dont have solid stats to back it up) that there is not nearly enough housing for those interested. I lived in one of the larger dorms and we actually had students living in our floor lounges for a good portion of the year (thankfully not on my floor). So, with situations like that, it's easy to see why one would want to leave the dorm asap...not to mention that a sorority/apartment is, in most cases, cheaper than living in the dorms. The worth of a greek house at IU is often determined by their house location (i.e. "Third Street Elite") and whether they have a house at all (obviously this applies more to fraternities). Living in the house is just IU culture but it does and will continue to cause problems. To comment on the IDS article: I think people sometimes overlook the fact that some of the reason we don't have a higher bid match rate is due to PNM's lacking an open-mind. I saw/heard of several girls that dropped out of rush because they didn't get the houses they wanted...(sadly I was one of them before Bid Day...which I really regretted). When you worry about which house is top-tier or which girls are the prettiest, you miss out and I was entire stupid to care about that because that's not the people I am. Girls in my Rho Gamma group tent talked and discussed reputations and some even admitted to being rude on purpose at certain houses they didn't think they liked or thought they were too good for. Long story short, while I do think awesome girls slip through the cracks, I think a lot of people just don't have an open-mind. Maybe things will be a lot better this year now that sites like Juicy Campus are gone. I don't really think the new changes for recruitment 2009 will really help the situation...It only makes the 2nd round that much more tiring. Apparently PHA was really pushing to have recruitment all during January instead of 19 party and then waiting 2-3 weeks. I really wish that would've gone through.