View Single Post
Old 07-11-2017, 09:21 PM
GreekChat Member

In addition to the great advice you have already received, something that may help you with recruitment would be to practice small talk when you get the chance. If you find yourself at a gathering with people whom you don't know that well, branching out to talk to them can help you develop those skills.

One tip I'll give you is to keep the conversation moving. So let's say you're at a dinner party with your parents, and one of their friends asks, "Annabanana12, what are you planning on majoring in?" (I know that's a frequent question, and that's part of why I used it as an example. )

Some people might answer by saying that they're not sure yet and leave it at that, but that's not the best answer to give if you want to keep the conversation going.

If you wanted to continue the flow of the conversation, you might say something along the lines of, "I'm not sure yet, but I'm considering psychology and sociology at this point. Those subjects fascinate me because I like the study of human behavior. What were your considerations when you chose your college major?" This answers the question in a concise way, tells them a bit more about who you are, and keeps the conversation going.

I know that recruitment conversations can be nerve-racking for a lot of people, but that is something that you still have time to practice if you choose to. I wish you the best of luck!
Loyal, forever, Alpha to thee