View Single Post
Old 03-22-2014, 11:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Should I drop my sorority?

I'm currently alumni status in my sorority as a junior. I joined freshman year during the spring. From the start the sorority seemed cliquey and I was uncomfortable because I didn't know a single girl upon joining. In addition I felt out of place because being ethnic I look much different than most of the girls. I always wanted to be in a sorority and this was definitely my top choice however it was just difficult trying to integrate myself into friend groups. I of course had a big assigned to me but I've come to realize we don't have much in common and therefore aren't really close. Come sophomore year relationships were still distant and I was only close with a couple girls if that. Unfortunately I was depressed at this time and I ended up having a public mental breakdown that winter. I never dissed the sorority during this but most of the girls still think I deliberately wanted to tarnish their image or that i was on drugs/crazy. I took a semester off and then went abroad. I'm back now and most of the girls are flat out ignoring me even though I spoke in front of them and declared I took time off as a medical leave. I just don't know what to do at this point. I feel so disconnected from campus with few friends to turn to. Should I try to stay in the sorority even though there are girls who clearly don't want anything to do with me?