View Single Post
Old 07-12-2015, 06:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
It's great that you are so accomplished.

Here are some things to think about:

1. Members may look at the fact that you own a business and think "How does she have time for a sorority?" A sorority at a school like UT is easily a 30 hour per week commitment depending on the time of year, especially for a new member.

2. We can't downplay the importance of KNOWING sorority members. Going into recruitment as a non-freshman is difficult enough. Going in knowing NO sorority members is even harder. Many PNMs of your class standing will know tons of sorority members from HS, camp, sports, etc. Sorority members meet HUNDREDS of girls every day of recruitment. You want sorority members to be able to say "oh I know her from ______." when discussing PNMs. When you know no one, there ARE chapters who will cut you straight away at the first opportunity because well, no one had a clue of who you were and there were women they knew who they wanted to come back over you.

3. You need recs! I find it surprising that you want to be Greek at a school like UT but have no recs. Nowhere in your post did you mention recs. The UT Panhellenic site says outright that you will have difficulty in recruitment without them. Every other PNM in recruitment will have at least one (or even 2-3 for each chapter.) They're not really as optional as people make them out to be. They're standard. Kind of like how everyone applying to work at a law firm has a law degree. You can't even get a foot in the door without the appropriate letters of reference/recommendations for each chapter on campus.

4. I know you don't want to hear this, but we can't say for sure whether you'll get a bid. However, let me be the first to tell you that you are going to have a rough time as a non-freshman with zero recs and knowing no one in a sorority at a place like UT. Your grades and the fact that you have a pastry degree are not really going to make up for that, as every girl in UT recruitment has great grades and tons of campus involvement.

With the small business it definitely does take my time, but for girls who have many extracurricular activities, are they not viewed the same way? Or does the sorority know the new member will make greek life a priority over any other activities they have?

I can see how not knowing anybody in Texas is a real disadvantage. I usually feel really confident and comfortable in situation where I don't know anyone, and can create conversations and make acquaintances/friends quickly. That doesn't compare to knowing someone for years though. In Washington the greek life seems to be about not knowing anyone at a new school and then rushing and getting to know a big group of girls you've never met or have very few connections with.

A lot of women in my family are a part of sororities. They didn't have to have recs at the schools they went to, but I am sure they would write me some great letters. I will research that more, but I feel confident I know enough women that would write me great letters, at least one from each house if not two.

I'm starting to understand that it's really unlikely for me to get a bid, but I will at least give it a try and hope for the best.
Thanks for your advice