View Single Post
Old 11-30-2016, 09:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Coming out of lurkdom because this thread conjures up so many fun memories (and because my oldest of three daughters is going through recruitment in January--sorority life is on the brain).

During my pledgeship in the early 90s, we had required study hours, scavenger hunts (had to fill up a bag full of ivy), and tests. We were not allowed in the chapter room at that time. This made it very special once we went to our first "formal" meeting after initiation. Pledgeship lasted from the beginning of school til just before Thanksgiving if memory serves me. I was at the house constantly because I had a scary potluck roomie in the dorms who was doing drugs. I met a ton of sisters who took me under their wing, even coming to get me from a scary fraternity party when I called the house. There was no alcohol involved at any time. Our big sisters gave us decorated paddles at initiation.

I was the pledge trainer (now called fraternity educator) myself and supervised all kinds of fun things that might now be considered hazing like intricate big sister reveals, participating in Phi Psi Field Day as a pledge class, etc. The memories are so wonderful.

I am very sad that activities that create such a deep bonding experience are now being shuttled. I don't think we even got our big sisters until a month or so into our pledgeships!

Alpha Phi