Old 12-15-2004, 12:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to LXAAlum
Quote:
Originally posted by ChipHinde
Chip Hinde, BN 281
Florida Tech '88, BS Chem E
Initiated May 31, 1985
What do these have to do with Lambda Chi Alpha? The answer to that became strikingly clear to me when I recently replaced my Paedagogus. After I began reading through my new copy, it hit me. The quote about taking initiative is just another form of "Kalepa Ta Kala." What my children have taught me, I already knew in "Vir Quesque Vir." The traditions that I learned in church, the principles with which my parents raised me, and the ideals laid forth by Jesus Christ were all right there in Lambda Chi Alpha. These things had been revealed to me in college, but it took more of life's experiences and a re-discovered faith for me to see the true beauty of our fraternity.
Wow. Simply wow.

I'll co-sign onto this thought - LXA and it's Ritual in one perspective is a very powerful witnessing tool - it brought me to Christ as a result of first seeing it.

To bring it full circle, I was recently elected a Deacon for our church, and during the Church Board's interview with me during the search process, I told them my testimony about how a fraternity initiation did it for me. Their perception of ritual is what they see in the news: initiation=hazing. I gave them a new perspective (without revealing specifics, of course).

It's amazing how often sermons touch on parts of the ritual - I wish sometimes I could tell other Church members about that...just so they know the truth about an initiation ritual, not what the media does to their perceptions. It just increases my faith all the time.