Thread: Taking Notes
View Single Post
Old 07-24-2014, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiteflyersmom View Post
Do you have a method for taking notes that has been effective for you? Daughter #2 is a rising senior in high school and seems to have trouble in this area. I recall that for me it was just a matter of finding my own little system of organizing important information. In an effort to help her with this before college I Googled Cornell Notes (also known as 2-column notes) and it looks good.

Any tips? Thank you.

I don't know how it is in high school anymore, but at mine, the teacher would write everything on the board and it was expected that everyone would write down what was on the board. In college, that wasn't the case and it took be a while to figure it out. I did figure out on my own that if an instructor asks a question in class, it was to my benefit to write down that question and the answer as I often saw it again on exams. A lot of instructors push reading material before class, and while that works for some classes, I found it more helpful to do the reading after class as it helped me reinforce the lecture and my notes better for memory retention.