View Single Post
Old 09-09-2015, 06:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Member selection policies can very greatly from GLO to GLO. And yes, they can seem unfair on the face of them. I'm not at liberty to disclose the information gathered and recorded on our rec forms, but they have to do with the personal qualities of the PNM. Matters of substance. And not the opinion of one sole alumna.

I remember one PNM in particular from my active days we really, really wanted to rush and pledge. And she was very interested in us. We got a "No rec" on her, and we all scratched our heads wondering why on earth. And never found out why. Our rec chairman made a second request. If our rush chairman knew why this rec was denied, her lips were sealed, most likely to not have gossip going around. We just had to move on, just as a PNM must do if she is cut from a favorite chapter. That particular PNM joined another very well-regarded sorority on our campus and had a wonderful college career. It was very hard for us to get recs we solicited from the particular city that PNM was from, but pledged many wonderful young ladies where the recs were enthusiastically given. I live far away from my chapter and bet that has changed by now.

My chapter's recruitment was delayed by a year, so we did already know a good many of the PNMs by the time they rushed as Sophomores. This is a very large school, so of course we did not know all of them. It was through recommendations that we met and pledged many wonderful girls who might have otherwise slipped through our cracks. Recs can be of great benefit to a PNM!

Chi Omega