View Single Post
Old 09-09-2015, 06:21 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jolene View Post
I went through informal rush at a noncompetitive school though in the southeast. I rushed two sororities and chose Alpha Xi (there are five total sororities at my school). Later I was contacted by other sororities, but had no recs. Period. I'm the first in my family to go to college much less go Greek. Why would an org that has to absolutely have recs bother contacting me (they did--ZTA)? It seems very harsh to not even look at someone because they don't have a prior Greek connection. An old roommate pledged Zeta through informal (she never initiated) and didn't have recs. Is that a newer policy? I was in college in the 90s. Is it a case of if the chapter really really likes you, an active who has a rush crush will write the rec? Can actives do recs?
Each sorority has its own rules, but for Alpha Delta Pi, an active may only write a rec for someone going to a different school. So if Ann's sister & her friends are going to attend a different school, she may write recs for them. Other than that, the rec must come from an alumna.

It's actually an old policy, for the most part. It probably started as something like the Old Boy's Network, but is now a chance for an alumna to really brag about someone she knows, someone who would be an asset to the chapter. One of my great-aunt's friends was a ZTA, and offered to write a rec for me, even though there was no longer a ZTA at my school, so it's been going on... well, a long time.