View Single Post
Old 10-18-2006, 08:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphagamuga View Post
Why are men's and women's rushes so different?
Fraternities are from Mars, sororities are from Venus.

Stupid attempt at humor aside, I really don't see that there is a "general" problem with IFC/NIC rush. Some chapters and/or some campuses may have an occasional problem or issue on "how to" rush successfully, but not "the system" as a whole. To be clear, there may be lazy chapters, but that isn't "the system's" fault or issue.

Quote:
Why can sororities do okay pledging some people they may not really know that well, but fraternities only seem to want to give bids to guys they already know?
Again, it works. With all due respect, it seems all to often that NPC members try to mold IFC/NPC rush into their idea of how IFC/NIC rush should be implemented - i.e. "like NPC". And while that might (can) work on some campuses, for the most part, it is not needed. Remember that since IFC/NIC chapters don't have to deal with quota or campus total, the numbers don't matter the way they do with NPC chapters.

For example, on many campuses, IFC/NIC chapters tend to be smaller in membership number per chapter than NPC chapters. But often 1.5 to twice as many IFC/NIC chapters. This allows each IFC/NIC chapter to be more selective and invite guys that would fit with the rest of the chapter. The core of which is often guys already known by chapter members. Or referred to them by alumni or friends. (Hmmm. Sounds kind of similar to NPC and recommendations.) So ABC chapter might stay steady at 70 members while XYZ chapter stays steady at 100. Yet both would be considered "strong" chapters on campus.

Quote:
Should guys' formal or "official" rush be spread out over a longer period of time, so guys who go to a campus on which they don't have any connections have a chance to get to know people?
No. It is not needed. However, chapters should rush (recruit) year round. And campuses should open up rush so that "formal" rush is at least twice a year - i.e. summer/fall and spring/winter.

Please note that for the sake of discussion, I am lumping summer and fall rush into one group and winter and spring in another group.

Quote:
Or maybe Greek Life should explain the actual policies of groups so they would know not to rush until later?
Not sure I follow. But from what I gather, yes, it would help if rush policies are known. As an example, it would be good if men knew that there is both a summer/fall rush and a spring/winter rush. And that it is "ok" to wait until either to rush. Or to go about it informally. What best suits the rushee and the chapter.

Quote:
It seems to me that some of the guys who may go bridles might not be total losers, but they just aren't known.
I concur 100%.