View Single Post
Old 08-20-2007, 09:04 PM
GreekChat Member

I suppose it's possible that a few girls might have made a stronger impression after two rounds than after one, but I honestly think that at UGA, the girls still used to drop out of rush; it was just all at once right before prefs when everyone pretty much got released by all the groups who didn't them on the bid list-- right at the same time. They saw where they were preffing and quit. (And this ended up hurting smaller groups because quota was set based of pref. invites, if I remember correctly, so it basically meant there weren't even enough girls left in the process for all the groups to make quota.)

I think there's a tendency for PNMs and parents to imagine that if a girl went back to more parties with a group, she would get a chance to shine and the groups would give her a bid.

But I don't really think that's how it ever happened at UGA.

Even before release figures, I think probably the top third of groups by what we'd call return rate today had 80-90% of their bid lists in mind based on girls they already knew from their hometowns. The middle third took about 50% girls they knew of before and 50% good candidates who they first met at recruitment. And the bottom third by return rate, might have gotten 25% girls they knew before recruitment and then had 75% of their pledge class from good candidates during rush.

My point is that even with three rounds to make an impression, I don't think that a girls real chance of pledging was ever really that much better than it is today.

Last edited by UGAalum94; 08-20-2007 at 09:08 PM.