View Single Post
Old 02-12-2012, 10:44 PM
GreekChat Member

I just replied to AXOrushadvisor's thread with information about UCLA recruitment, in case the OP, or others, wanted more west coast specific information.

In general, though, I don't think being over prepared will hurt you. Greek Chat has a lot of information for the most intense scenarios (SEC schools), but that advice will be applicable to all schools to some degree. Do you NEED letters of rec at your particular school? Maybe not. Will it hurt you? Pretty much never. In fact, regardless of your school, it will probably always help.

The other information about conversation skills is good. Clothing will vary by region, but as long as you are wearing something fashionable, appropriate and that makes you feel fantastic, you can't go wrong.

Referencing the Panhellenic website and any literature they provide is always going to be your best guideline for your particular campus. I would recommend, however, to be one step more conservative than what your campus Panhellenic recommends: if they say letters of rec are encouraged but not required, act as if they ARE required. If they say shorts and sandals are good for Round 1, wear nice sandals and a skirt.

That being said, note that some west coast schools are very competitive. USC always comes to mind as a very traditional/competitive campus. In general (please note: gross generalization to follow), private and/or conservative schools will tend to attract more PNMs from out of state, have more PNMs from backgrounds familiar with Greek life, and will be more traditional/competitive in their recruitment style.