View Single Post
Old 09-21-2008, 09:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to RedRover
Dis 'n' Dat ...

Is Greek Life as important at Texas A&M and Texas Tech as it is at the Austin campus of the University of Texas? Is recruitment as competitive at Tech and A&M as it is in Austin?

A couple of years ago, TEXAS MONTHLY had a article about the possible creation of third flagship university of the state. Tech was considered to be the logical choice, with its location as a major drawback. Ditto the El Paso campus of the University of Texas. The author of the article theorized that North Texas or Texas State might have a better chance of being designated "flagship." The author also mentioned the possibility of a brand new flagship campus being created in Dallas (more likely) or Houston (less likey). Friends tell me that the third flagship issue is a popular topic for TEXAS MONTHLY and other publications.

A friend's daughter went to St. Edward's in Austin, but she took her ROTC classes at the Austin campus of the University of Texas. She was amazed at the role Greek Life played on the campus and the lengths women went to to get into a sorority. My friend's daughter wasn't too impressed with a lot of the people she met at the Austin campus. She told her father "They may be smart enough to get into the U of T, but the truth is, I wouldn't want to follow a Texas grad into battle nor would I want to have to lead a Texas grad into battle. They are way too full of themselves. They ain't as smart as they think they are."