View Single Post
Old 11-14-2002, 10:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Lightbulb Financial Aid tips..

I worked my way through college as an independent student, so I understand your confusion well. Financial Aid is confusing!

A few things that I learned in the process:

- Become friends with the Financial Aid officer. They understand the ins and outs of the system well, and are good resources for you. They often deal with lots of faceless (and often rude) students. Be kind and personal to them, and they will help.

- When you are an independent student, the rules change. For example, as a dependant student, only 2% of your savings count towards your ability to pay. As an independent student, 35% count. e.g. You have $1000 in savings as of Dec. 29, that's $350 more you'll have to pay/borrow a year. A good way not to get hurt by this is to pay for things in advance - I used to be sure to pay room and board, utility bills, and books early if I could.

- Look to your GLO's national headquarters for help with scholarships. I thought my financial situation was going to force me to drop my membership; in fact, it helped me pay part of tuition, which in turn let me afford dues.

- Be realistic about the ROI (Return on Investment) of your degree. If you're going to go $40,000 in debt for a degree, and the starting salary for your profession is $20,000 that's not very practical. But going $10,000 in debt so you're can stop being a fry cook and McDonalds might be. I have a very well paying job now, and I think the debt I undertook to get my degree is worth it - but I know many people buried in debt who should have known better to begin with.

Best of Luck!

- Paula P

Kappa Kappa Gamma
Delta Xi - Carnegie Mellon