Thread: Badge Trends?
View Single Post
Old 10-31-2009, 11:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Kappa badges are here... http://www.hjgreek.com/index.cfm?eve...ategory_ID=560

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that of the jeweled badges, the sapphire/pearl is most common. That's the one I have! Here it is:

You can also get pearl, diamond, sapphire or any combination thereof. Most girls in my chapter get either plain or pearl/sapphire. One girl sprung for all-diamond, and it's gorgeous. One sister has all-pearl, but its because she doesn't like that they use "fake sapphires". I didn't know they were fake (or if that's even true), but they certainly look real.* I love my badge anyway!

They used to include the cost of a plain badge in our dues and if we wanted to upgrade, we could pay the extra. It made dues pretty high, though, so now you just pay it all yourself. If my opinion, it all comes from the same place anyway, so you might as well include it... but whatever. It would be pretty much unheard of for a girl not to buy a badge.

One girl last fall heard from someone that all the really wealthy girls buy antique badges to wear, so her mom got her one from a rare badge dealer. It's very pretty, but I would want mine to have my own info engraved on the back - unless it was a family badge. Wearing the badge of someone you never met seems weird to me, but that's just a personal preference.

I've never seen anyone wear a chapter guard or any other accessory, except for the pearl dangle the 4.0 girls get!

There are some really pretty, unusual antique badges pictured in the Kappa History 2000 book. If I can find my copy I'll post pictures.

*ETA: HJ says the sapphires are in fact synthetic. Oh well, they look real!