View Single Post
Old 08-16-2012, 08:44 PM
GreekChat Member

My son's fraternity recruitment story

So, for years on Greekchat, I have voraciously read and sought out all the Recruitment Stories my old eyes would allow me to read. I admit that I harbored a teensy bit of jealousy whenever I pored over these adventures because I figured I would never be able to pen such a recruitment story of “my” own because I am the mother of two boys.

My oldest son is a junior at the Air Force Academy, my husband’s alma mater. As my handle indicates, I am a retired USAF LtCol – served 22 years active duty in Intelligence, primarily SpecOps – and a proud Distinguished Graduate of Southern Cal’s AFROTC program. How could I not be thrilled that my oldest was going to also be in the Air Force? True, he did get a full ride to USC’s AFROTC program but a Congressional appointment to the Air Force Academy was very hard to pass up. But no Greek connections whatsoever, unless I could set him up with collegiate members of my sorority up in Denver and Boulder!

My youngest son was going to go to a civilian university - some of you may have seen a thread I already posted earlier and know which university its so just keep it to yourselves for the time being please! Yes, I really wanted him to rush but never said anything to him about doing so because both my boys seemed to always be baffled and maybe even a bit turned off by all the sorority and panhellenic volunteering I did... like they never wanted anything to do with being Greek!

Happily, my son informed me he was going to rush AND he wanted to do some summertime fraternity rush events at his college. Yay!

After meeting up with all the fraternities who participated in Orientation (not all 16 were there unfortunately), he had several favorites – my husband and I did too.

At my son’s university, as I said, there are 16 fraternities. Since it was summertime rush, he was focusing on just half of those. He simply could not do things with all of them.

I have given names to these fraternities based on my son’s affinity for golf – eg they are all well-known golf companies:

Titleist
Ping
Bobby Jones
TaylorMade
Callaway
Nike
Mizuno
Bridgestone