View Single Post
Old 07-17-2010, 12:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drolefille View Post
1. I bet mom doesn't know that she is sabotaging her daughter's recruitment. Odds are, in her chapter, while she was there legacy=in. She's probably not aware of how things have changed.
This is what I was thinking -- time warp.

dgdramadawg, how well do you know the mom? Do you think you could have a conversation with her that doesn't reveal anything daughter told you other than that's she's going through recruitment? Somethink like, "Daughter told me she's rushing/going through recruitment at SEC school! I know you'd be thrilled if she joined your chapter there. It's too bad times have changed and being a legacy doesn't have the same weight it used to . . . ." See where it goes from there?

Quote:
2. I think moms can talk up their college sorority experience, their philanthropy and the reasons why XYZ was good for them.
Lane swerving big time, and merely FWIW, but in my experience with friends and family who are in NPC sororities, philanthropy was not a big deal back in the day. By that, I certainly don't mean that doing charitable/philanthropic things weren't a big deal. They were. I mean rush didn't include a philanthropy round (I don't think), and the idea of connecting with a particular group because you liked their philanthropy just didn't seem to be part of the picture at all. While I may have been ignorant, I don't remember particular sororities being associated with particular philanthropies.* GC introduced me to the current importance of that idea.

Maybe I just wasn't noticing, though.

/back to my lane.

*ETA: The major exception to this was Pi Beta Phi and Arrowmont.

Last edited by MysticCat; 07-17-2010 at 12:48 PM.