View Single Post
Old 04-20-2008, 04:37 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to breathesgelatin Send a message via AIM to breathesgelatin Send a message via MSN to breathesgelatin Send a message via Yahoo to breathesgelatin
Quote:
Originally Posted by violetpretty View Post
I'll give another example that all of our fratty posters can agree with. Washington & Lee. Their Panhellenic community is only around 20 years old, but their Panhellenic is not weak by any means. They have a reasonable number of chapters, incredible percentage of Greeks, they are growing, they are chapters well-regarded by their HQs and the University. They (meaning Panhellenic chapters) do not have the age and "tradition", but W&L is almost always mentioned whenever the fratties talk about strong Greek schools. W&L has more "tradition" on the IFC side, but does the lack of Panhellenic tradition weaken the Panhellenic strength? No way! Is W&L Panhellenic only strong because of the IFC tradition and not because of their own merits? Absolutely not.
Well, I think the major reason W&L gets respect from "fratties" is the IFC, not Panhel. But yeah. I find it pretty hard to argue that W&L isn't one of the strongest if not the strongest Greek systems in the nation. Although the counterargument would be that the fraternities are plagued by risk management issues and generally don't care about what their nationals want (of course, that would only make them "stronger" in the eyes of some).

W&L Panhellenic is amazing because it's such a large system (percentage-wise), and because the chapters are generally pretty successful at winning awards, recruiting great membership, etc.

The recent addition of NPHC chapters to W&L has actually upped Greek percentage even further.