View Single Post
Old 09-20-2017, 10:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLCo View Post
It seems to me that sorority rush has many problems inherent in the process. Everyone on this board admits it. But when an outsider comments that things went wrong and criticizes some part of the process, some of the posters go into attack mode. And some offer positive critique or advice. Some just hunt for a way to discredit what you are saying. I really appreciate the ones who have gone out of their way to explain things. It really has made me feel much better about what my daughter is getting involved in.
I completely agree that there are some issues in how the sorority recruitment process works. No one here will claim that it's perfect, and if they do I'll bop them upside the head. That said, it's your daughter's experience, not yours. You can encourage her to report to Panhellenic, and it does sound like these women at a minimum need a refresher on how not to promise a bid, but anything you convey to the fraternity and sorority life office will be filtered through your words.

Imagine her saying "this experience happened to me, and I want to make sure it won't happen again" versus "this experience happened to my daughter, but I wasn't there". One is more impactful than the other, and I think to effect meaningful change out of an anonymous report the information should come from the person it happened to.