View Single Post
Old 01-24-2016, 12:27 AM
GreekChat Member

All right, here we go. So, I have been exciting about joining a sorority since the beginning of time. I was born a sorority girl, as stupid as that sounds. So in the year or so leading up to recruitment, I did my research. In fact, I did too much research. I looked up all the Panhellenic sorority chapter's (at my university) social media, and consulted other sources on the internet to learn as much as I could about the chapters at my school so I would be completely "prepared" for recruitment. Unfortunately, by the time recruitment rolled around, I already had a huge bias. I had a list of chapters that I wanted or expected to be in. I also had a list of chapters that I felt were "below" me, and did not want to be in. I thought this previous knowledge would help me make decisions during recruitment when everything is so hectic, but instead it gave me expectations that somewhere in the back of my mind, I knew would backfire on me.

The school I go to has a pretty competitive sorority recruitment. It draws in hundreds and hundreds of girls but only has 14 Panhellenic sororities to place them in. Personally, I didn't think I would have any issue with recruitment. Although I was biased, I was not planning on dropping out of recruitment, no matter the odds, so in that way, I was pretty open-minded. I had a less than stellar grade point average (3.0), but I met the suggested minimum to go through (which was a 3.0). I also am a very friendly, bubbly, and sweet girl and I take care in my appearance. I was lucky enough to have many recommendations from family friends, as well.

Okay, background information rant = over. Now onto my recruitment story!