View Single Post
Old 07-06-2004, 02:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BetaRose
I'm a nerd, and I like to cross reference (not to mention that I'm bored to tears right now, lol)

Chapters of IAPi that were open in 1971 at the time of closure, and relevant AEPhi and SDT chapter info :

Lambda - Brooklyn
- AEPhi: Epsilon Beta chapter, closed in 1976.
- SDT: Lambda chapter

Omicron - Queens
- AEPhi: Epsilon Delta chapter, closed in 1971 also.
- SDT: Beta Zeta chapter, closed in 1971 also.

Beta Beta - CCNY
- No AEPhi or SDT chapters

So AEPhi could have gained 6 new chapters, and SDT 5 new chapters. Looking at this list, though, it seems like there was a bigger problem in the greek system at some of these schools, since several had multiple chapters close in 1970-72, and a few more later in the 70's. It sort of makes sense that there wasn't a merger when you look at it like that.
Corrections on the Brooklyn info: The SDT chapter is Alpha Omicron and their original charter shut down a year or two before our original charter shut down. And in response to AEPhiAlum, I am from Brooklyn College and our chapter re-chartered in 1992 (though I have heard rumors of a brief re-charter in the 1980's)

I am not sure exactly what happened because I haven't dug through CUNY archives yet but basically all Greek life died out at CUNY (which includes Brooklyn, Queens & CCNY) in the early 70's. Still not sure if they were outlawed outright or if the administration just made it hard to exist. According to Baird's Brooklyn College Chapters died out btwn 70-76 with the exception of DPhiE somehow staying til 84, 4 years before the oldest sorority currently on campus was founded (if a DPhiE could get me the story of how their chapter stayed open that long I would really appreciate b/c I am trying to piece together my campus's greek history). The same thing basically happened with Queens between 67-71 with DZ somehow lasting to 1980. I don't know the story with CCNY though.

If sororities weren't banned outright maybe AEPhi or SDT could have benefitted from larger chapters after a merger? But if they were banned outright, losing 3 chapters could have been what really forced IAPi to close.

I wish I could talk to a sister of IAPi and find out the whole story!

Last edited by AEPhiSierra; 07-06-2004 at 02:33 PM.